Sunday, June 23, 2013

activity day camp

So another thing that has been taking up my mental space is that I was semi in charge of a day camp for girls ages 8-12 at church.  I did it last year, too.  It was this past Thursday and Friday and turned out so well!  I guess the months of planning paid off.  Our theme was the Wizard of Oz -- Follow the Yellow Brick Road back to our Heavenly Father.  The last two years we've gotten tee shirts for all of the girls, but we decided to mix it up and make them all gingham aprons like Dorothy.  We started out with a class on Family History, had mini classes on having a brain (calligraphy), a heart (FHE kits), and courage (improvising scenarios).  We also had an original skit that was about "Dot" going on adventure and having some hard choices to make.  The second day they made a cute craft that said, "There's no place like home," played water games outside, practiced the skit some more, and finished up with a great talk about all the choices we make in life that lead us back "Home."  We all came back for a potluck dinner that night with all of the families and the girls performed their play.  Here are some pics:

::the checking in table
 ::somewhere under the rainbow!
 ::baskets for all of the girls with their aprons, place to put lunches, etc
 ::our craft
 ::all of the cute girls -- we combined the two wards in town
 ::gym set up for our dinner
 It was really great, but incredibly exhausting!  I'm afraid I offended one of the girls last night when I exclaimed how happy I was that it was over.  Not that I didn't want to be with them anymore, but there was the constant stress of what was going to go wrong!  Nothing did.  We were blessed.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails