Monday, January 20, 2014

Piano Recital, Serendipity

So I had my first major birthing class drama with a couple that did not like the way I was doing things, haha!  She had had a friend who took the class and in her class they had done a relaxation practice every single week and I don't do real practice in class until class 5.  It's not in my class outlines and we didn't do it that way in the class that I took before Charles was born so it never really even occurred to me.  So this couple started taking classes a little late in their pregnancy and barely had time to finish up the whole series and then we had Christmas and then the next week we were sick so I cancelled class again. So the next week was their third time coming, but I was trying to catch up and we did class 4 and part of class 5.  I was really trying to accommodate them!  So once again, we hadn't done a practice and I said that we were going to start the next class with a 30 minute practice -- they were so annoyed!  And they told me that they didn't really know how to practice relaxation at home since we hadn't done it in class.  I just think that is stupid!  Have they heard of the internet?  Just look up relaxation exercises!  Plus, we have some in the book for every week that I read out loud and then they're supposed to do all week.   Go home and do it!  I did it before the internet and look how that turned out!  But, as they were talking, she said that she had found out that she was showing signs of maybe coming early so I'm sure she was just stressed out!  And in the end, I was kind of relieved that they just decided to quit the class (they didn't know what they were going to do, but seemed relieved when I offered a refund) because they were seriously sending off a negative vibe!  Which wouldn't be good for the other three couples.  My first instinct was to be totally offended and upset, but I was very nice to them and they appreciated that.  I might just be growing up, aaah.  I also decided to learn from the experience and will now do short relaxation practice starting from class 1.  Learn from trials and try to do better, right?
 

 I started doing the Artist's Way -- a sort of program to rev up one's creativity.   I'm doing it with Cherrie, Fara, Joy, and Rebecca.  We have a facebook group and hopefully it will be good.  It lasts 12 weeks and each week there are tasks to do and every morning you're supposed to write three pages of stream of consciousness.  I was nervous about that, but it hasn't been too bad.  It helps that my brain has a constant commentary marching through.  Anyway, this week I had so many ideas percolating in my brain -- it was really great!  I was rethinking my children's book that I started writing in France.  Did I mention that serendipitous thing?  Ever since we got back from France I have been searching everywhere for my little black notebook!  And I was never really losing hope.  Every time we go on a trip I would re-look in all of the suitcases hidden pockets still hoping the book would be there!  Every time I get out a box in the basement, I'm just sure it will be there!  I have cleaned out my cupboard multiple times since then, but I was still sure that it had to be in the house somewhere!  Well, on Christmas Eve, when the Thayn's were here, we were having so much fun singing songs that we got out these old songbooks that we had gotten free from the church.  They were in the messy cupboard where we keep the hymnbooks.  Moving those red songbooks made everything fall over, so later, while Dad and Charles were trying to set up the  Christmas presents, I decided to reorganize that cupboard.  First I found an unopened French hymnbook and then right behind that was my little black notebook!  It has been four years!!!! Can you believe that?  I was so excited!  I have tried to sit down and rewrite my little story, but it was totally blocked.  I couldn't even write one little sentence!  So this was really a blessing and I've been thinking about writing a whole series about little kids who move to different countries and the strange new customs that they find there.  And then in the back could be a list of simple vocabulary words, etc.  I was also thinking of either doing travel books or a webpage of traveling with children.  And then we just might have to travel more places, right?  Oh, the possibilities!   So it is fun to be thinking and planning, but the next step is the actual doing.  Hmmm, that is always the kicker.

I finished another Korean drama that was so good!   It was about a doctor who gets kidnapped back in time to the year 1350 so it was so fun to be discovering ancient Korea with her and then the things they thought were strange about her.  And the romance part was really sweet.  I think in about the 17th episode he held her hand, aaaah.  They are so clean and sweet.  Everyone here thinks I've gone crazy, though.  I never used to watch t.v. in the middle of the day.  It's a bad habit.

Yesterday was the girls' piano recital.  Charles favorite day of the year, woohoo!  He promptly fell asleep and then we were wrestling with Phin and Archie for the entire 90 minutes.  It is a little bit painful, but not so bad.  Poor Ibby was super nervous and had a pained expression on her face the whole time.  Lucy was the star of the show and played her pieces last.  When she started playing, Phin looked at me and said, "This is so beautiful!  Mom!  Have you ever heard this song before?"  Matthew and I were cracking up (quietly, of course)!  She plays that song like 10 times a day!!!!  Was it really completely new to Phin?  Hahaha!  After the recital we had the sister missionaries over for dinner.  Matthew had gone upstairs to change Archie's diaper and I was in the kitchen and I hear one of the missionaries scream and then everyone was laughing so hard!  I ran into the dining room and Phin had stuck a marble way down into her rice!  I said, "Phin!  You can't do that!"  So he proceeded to stick his fingers in her rice again and try to dig it back out!  Oh my goodness!  So I yelled again, "Phin!  Just stop touching her food!!!!"  She was laughing so hard and said it was the funniest thing that had happened on her mission so far!  Later, they were talking with us and Phin wouldn't come in so we said, "They're going to show us a video."  He went and got that green velvet stool and parked himself right at her feet, but then when she started talking, he stood up abruptly  and said in a disgusted voice, "This isn't a video!"  And stomped out of the living room!  Oh my.  We are THAT family.  We tried to excuse the boys by chalking it up to having to sit through church and the recital.  They just were not having any more of controlled behavior.













I had better go.  The kids don't have school for MLK day and I hear crashing noises upstairs!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails