Monday, December 22, 2008

Floridaaaah

I have often wondered why people would want to live in Florida. Particularly when the weather gods seem to want to wipe it off of the face of the earth or when one experiences the horrible humidity firsthand, I think that people who choose to live there are a little bit loopy. I am here today to tell you that I take it all back. Oh Florida, you taunt me with your white sandy beaches and your 70˚ days, the palm trees swaying with the ocean breezes. Please forgive me. I am sure that you will with your warmhearted ways. The kids and I could jump in the car and be there by Wednesday. What is behind this change of tune? Can you say -10˚!?! It is quite chilly here. Last week we were walking from the parking lot to a building (and we got a good parking space!) and I thought the freezing rain pelting my face was going to kill me. I was outside for less than a minute! These moments always make me reflect on the Martin Handcart Company. How did they do it? This is not the first time I have thought about them. Last winter we went on a cruise. We had timed things down to the wire -- leave the house to get to the airport in Chicago to arrive in San Diego to leave the port on time. We didn't have much wiggle room so it was quite alarming to wake up to a horrible blizzard here. We normally wouldn't drive at all in such weather, but a cruise was on the line. So off we go, unable to see the roads at all and I am praying, praying, prayi... wait a minute! Is this really important? Oh, please help us get to the airport on time to make our flight that will take us across the country in two hours so that we can make it on our cruise to Mexico. We want to eat ice cream cones at any given moment and order cold soup and the cheese plate for dinner. We want to sit in the hot tub while listening to reggae, attend the midnight buffet, play bingo on the Lido Deck, and there are shows to attend every night! I am sure the members of the Martin Handcart company were praying. So I decided I needed to get some perspective and relax.






As you can see from the pictures, it is very icy here. Can you see the poor little birdies? Click on the photo for a closer look. It is sparkly and lovely and when the wind blows all the branches crinkle and crackle like thousands of tiny bells. Occasionally there is a louder rumble as a glacier slides off the roof generating momentary panic, but not enough to cause us to actually expose ourselves to the weather and investigate.

We are busy with the finishing touches of Christmas. We heard about some girls that just arrived with a foster family with no toys or clothes so the girls are busily engaged getting some things ready for them. We are also trying to get the record label all squared away for a few days so that we can take a break. We were cleaning some things out in the basement the other day and found about 80 addressed envelopes for orders from June!!! I looked them up and only four of them had written to us asking where their orders were. So we sent them out last week. Won't they be surprised? It will be like a little Christmas miracle and I feel honored to have been a part of it. Yep, we are running a tight ship around here.

7 comments:

Jenn said...

Ahh, yes. There really is nothing like a Midwestern winter. I remember stepping outside and my nose hairs and eyebrows would freeze instantly. That is a very strange sensation I have yet to experience in Utah. Those poor birds. I hope they're not stuck to the tree.

Anonymous said...

Ice ream at any given moment is oh so important. What about being with family? Maybe you could justify that??

Mary said...

You're right -- and of course, that was the best part!!! We miss you!

Anonymous said...

you are hilarious. I wish we lived closer so you could make me laugh ona regular basis

Mary said...

Oh, thank you! Coming from you with your wonderful wit, that means a lot. We do live somewhat close -- let's plan a get together!

Janisu said...

As a Floridian of 3 years now, I will say that those snowbirds have the right idea. Florida winters are fantastic, but I'd be glad to leave it during Hurricane season. I've just about decided that when we retire, we will be snowbirds and live here winters and up north (less humid?) for the summers--unless we have a pool, then I'll stay.

Mary said...

Are you really going to be there that long? It still seems temporary to me, like us being here.

Related Posts with Thumbnails