Tuesday, February 9, 2010

aggravation cessation

While we were driving through Italy, we listened to one talk from General Conference every day. It was so nice to ponder enlightening truths while gazing at enchanting sights. On the last day as we wound through the darkened hills we heard this statement from Pres. Monson:
"We’ve all felt anger. It can come when things don’t turn out the way we want. It might be a reaction to something which is said of us or to us. We may experience it when people don’t behave the way we want them to behave. Perhaps it comes when we have to wait for something longer than we expected. We might feel angry when others can’t see things from our perspective. There seem to be countless possible reasons for anger."
He is so right! I was annoyed that our GPS didn't work in Italy. I was offended when the nasty cabinieri lady implied that we were negligent parents because our girls were having a little bit too much fun clambering all over the Trevi fountains (other people were, too and I still think they weren't out of line). I was livid when the man stole 10 euros from me (enough to consider letting the girls turn klepto on the way out with some items from his store). I was completely bent out of shape as we missed our exit for the umpteenth time because the road signs are not as big and clear as I think they should be and instead are too little, too late, vague, and pointing every which way and the sun was going down and we weren't to Pisa yet ~~ the stress! I was vexed with my family for not being as concerned about these things as I was...

But I don't think he meant to sanction my feelings. Instead it gave me pause.

Then he said, “Anger doesn’t solve anything. It builds nothing, but it can destroy everything.”

Anger. Let it go.

That feels better.

1 comment:

Normal Mom said...

Amen.

I have been thinking about you today because I have driven past three people in minivans who I thought were you. We will miss you on Tuesday at book club! But you are living the experience we'll only be talking about!

Related Posts with Thumbnails