Friday, March 11, 2016

Yoga Dreams

So.  I've been thinking of signing up to do a yoga training for a long time now.  The idea initially came to my mind when I first did the Artist's Way in the winter of 2014.  A question that comes up a few times throughout the course is, if you could do anything, what would you do?  I can't remember exactly what I wrote down, but one of them was to crochet -- which I started doing!  Another one was to learn how to play the mandolin -- which I started doing!  And another one was that I'd love to be a yoga instructor.  And none of these things are crazy.  It's not like I really really wish I could live on Mars!  But the yoga one has been harder because even though I love to do yoga, I'm not amazing at it.  There are loads of positions that I can't even begin to dream of doing.  And I'm also really hung up on the fact that I don't really look like a yogi.  And probably never will.  So why would anyone trust me to teach them anything?  Well, today I took the plunge!  I signed up for a yoga training!  And even if it doesn't lead to a blossoming teaching career, at the very least I will be following through with a goal and also delving deeper into the philosophy and history of yoga which will be great.  

Like everything in my life, the decision of where to do the yoga training was a long, complicated, and circuitous one!  I knew that I wanted to do an accelerated version, not one that would take months and months, but so many of that variety were in exotic locales -- come to Costa Rica or Bali!  And they still usually lasted at least a month.  What sorts of people can pick up and go to Bali for a month?  Young, unencumbered ones.  Pas moi.  I also was interested in doing a Kundalini training since that is the type of yoga I've done the most, and there was nothing remotely near me.  After almost two years of off and on looking, I finally decided to do a training in Memphis that met for one weekend a month for six months.  It was kind of expensive, plus I'd need to get a hotel every time, and drive 7 hours each way -- not ideal, but it was the best I could find.  I was just about to pull the trigger when I happened to be talking to my friend Twila about it and she said... "Hey!  My sister does yoga trainings!"  I have no idea how that had never come up before!  I immediately looked up the Bodhi yoga website and saw that there was a 10 day accelerated training ✓, she taught a more traditional yoga (Bodhiflow), restorative (Bodhiyin), and Kundalini (Bodhispin) ✓, it is in Provo (!) so I didn't have to worry about paying for a hotel and could visit my family -- two birds with one stone ✓, and she had two spaces left for a training that will be in June!  I'm so excited!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails