Friday, November 20, 2009

rubbish

Today is garbage pick-up day and I am infinitely and inexhaustibly thankful that we have such a luxury!  I read this horrible book, don't ever read it, I won't even tell you the name so that you can't and won't, and it was set in New York City and it was the end of the world and the garbage stopped being picked up.  Gasp!  How horrible would that be?  Well, the rats liked it, did I tell you I didn't like that book?  I try really hard to not produce very much garbage.  We recycle what we can, try to eat fresh foods that didn't come in plastic and cardboard, use cloth diapers, cloth napkins, cloth cloths (instead of paper towels), buy bigger packaging instead of lots of little things, give things to people we know or Goodwill, reuse what we can, etc.  I am always amazed (judgmental) at my neighbors when I see how much garbage they accumulate in one week and most of them have only two or three people living in their houses.  However!  For the garbage that we do have, I am always so grateful that I can drag the smelly bag out to the street and say farewell to it.  Living in Illinois I don't even feel too terribly bad about the landfill since there seems to be plenty of land to fill.  I am also glad that they come to take our leaves away, although a big fall bonfire might be nice.

2 comments:

Stacey said...

I too am SO thankful for garbage men!! Every Friday when they come to take our garbage I have a big smile on my face. I am even thinking of getting them a Christmas gift this year.

Janika said...

I've been amazed at how much less garbage we put out since we've sincerely started recycling. The only problem is that the recycling truck only comes every other week. Let's just say I can't wait for recycling day to come around! I just saw some really cute fabric/waterproof bags that could be used instead of baggies for school snacks. Now, that would save a ton of money and trash. I better get busy making a few of those for my kids.

Related Posts with Thumbnails