Thursday, July 20, 2017

Marma Mia

Marmas.  We all have them, but do we know what they are?  I had never heard of them before I started the Bodhi Yoga teacher training and we only talked about them for a minute then, but now my eyes have been opened!  Most people have heard of acupressure points, so that is a good jumping off point in explaining what they are.  In Ayurvedic philosophy, it is said that the marmas are where the spirit and body lace together.  Each marma holds the potential for balancing the body and serves as a bridge to the mind and the soul.  Marmas are located at places where there are physical intersections -- veins, arteries, tendons, bones, joints, etc. and there are 107 of them in the body!  

We have been learning techniques for "activating" the marmas and it is amazing how good it feels to have them pressed and massaged.  We had a great time today practicing on each other!  And I'm so glad that now I know about my marmas!  I am going to use this new knowledge in my yoga classes...

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails